How things work at the Cowboy/Outlaw:
- I cook, Bagheera waits tables in the cafe, I get the tips as part of my wage.
- The bartenders service their own tables, they get the tips. The kitchen does their dishes, rolls their silverware.
- If there is a large table in the bar or any table the bartender is too busy to wait on, Bagheera or I wait on it, the bartender gets the drinks, we split the tip. The kitchen does the dishes and rolls the silverware.
- The kitchen is responsible for all cleaning, which includes the kitchen, cafe, bathrooms and mopping the bar.
Where this goes wrong:
- The bartenders are a bunch of lazy fucking communists. Why work when someone else will do it and you’ll still get paid the same amount?
- The bartenders are greedy fuckers.
- The bulk of the work load falls on the kitchen. There are times I’m on my hands and knees scrubbing some mess while the bartenders are sitting on their asses, watching TV.
Where this has gone wrong recently:
- A group of 15 people came in for dinner.
- I took their order, cooked their food, Bagheera delivered their food, the bartender (the one who can’t spell ‘potato’) delivered about $30 worth of drinks.
- Bagheera & I cleaned the tables, did the dishes, rolled the silverware.
- The bartender couldn’t figure 20% for the auto-grat and ended up shorting the tip by $10.
- Bagheera and I did the bulk of the work, yet I had to split the tip with the bartender, who shorted the auto-grat and screwed me out of $5.
- I pointed out that when I worked at The Harribalsac we split the tip based on sales, so the person doing the most work got the most money. It encouraged people to actually, you know, work.
How I plan to fix this:
- Tonight a group of 9 men came in for dinner.
- Bagheera took their order, I cooked their steaks, I refilled their drinks (twice), I cleaned their tables.
- When it came time to figure the ticket, I did the auto-grat. I gave Foghorn Leghorn 20% of his sales…$5. He was shocked and dumbfounded because it was a $50 tip.
I would have split the tip evenly, but he tried to give the table to his girlfriend (who was off shift and drinking) so the tip would stay with them. That isn’t the way things work and he knows it. The bartenders had a huge kerfluffle about a month ago when the dumbass who can’t spell came in off the clock, waited on a table and took the tip. Everyone thought she should be fired for taking money from Foghorn Leghorn’s girlfriend. Since he’s a greedy fucker it’s okay to do the same thing to me though.
They should know better than to try that shit with me.
Plus, I’m still a little pissed about the buffalo T-bone incident. About a month ago a guy in the bar ordered a buffalo T-bone and a soda. He ate the steak, drank the soda, and said it was the best steak he’d ever had. Foghorn Leghorn’s girlfriend came into the kitchen and said, “That guy was so impressed with the steak he tipped Foghorn Leghorn and I $40. Good job!” Bagheera and I looked at each other in shock. Whenever someone tipped me very well because of the cook, I ALWAYS split the tip with my cook. She never even offered a dime. I was dumbfounded. Since then, any time I split a tip with her, she gets 30% instead of 50%.
I am not greedy. I don’t need to make all the money in the world. I’m all about letting my coworkers make money. However, if they want to play the greedy game, I’m more than willing to play it with them. They are either going to start working and being a little more thankful for the work the kitchen does, or they are going to spend a lot of time wondering why they aren’t making any money.